Thread: Marijuana
View Single Post
Old January 28, 2017   #24
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGardener23 View Post
I can only comment based on Illinois where cannabis is legal for medical use for a number of conditions...it would be far less expensive to grow than to buy, but growing is not legal at any level with the exception of the few large-scale growers approved by the state. Approved patients are allowed to buy up to (the equivalent) of 2.5 ounces of cannabis every 2 weeks. This is an obscene amount, and I cannot fathom that anyone could actually use this quantity, but because physicians generally have no idea how to suggest that their patients use cannabis to help their conditions (which strains, in what forms and in what amounts and what frequency) just about every physician who writes the letter if their patient qualifies, gives full access to the 2.5 oz/2 weeks.

At the dispensaries, it costs about $50 for 1/8 oz. so doing the math, that would be $1000 cash out-of-pocket for the 2.5 oz. that are allowed (and not needed, but allowed nevertheless) every 2 weeks. It would be far more economical to allow people to grow a limited # of plants in whatever strain seems to work well for their condition. Education about how to best process the plant into useful forms (RSO, topical salves, tinctures, etc.) would also be helpful in advancing potentially effective medicine in an affordable way. IME however, the medical community is more about profit than about making medication affordable.
Big Pharma can make lots more money selling pills (with bad side effects) than selling a weed that can be grown in anyone's back yard. It's all about money. When Illinois first legalized medicinal any person that applied that had an Illinois gun card (Firearms Owner ID) was notified by the state police to turn in FOID and dispose of your guns. It was soon reversed and so far it's legal to own guns and a medicinal marijuana card. Imagine if they made everyone in Illinois that was on prescription OxyContin or Vicodin turn in their gun card... The would be riots in the streets.

My better half's brother lives in Colorado and just retired at 56, the last construction jobs the company he owned were huge warehouses for commercial growers. He said everyone is making money...construction companies,power companies, growers, fertilizer companies, cities, the state etc. He also said that if I grew pot plants that looked as good as my tomatoes in Colorado I could do pretty well for myself
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote