View Single Post
Old June 16, 2018   #354
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Bill, I know the variety very well as I think you already know. And yes I grew it a lot for SSE listings and seed offers and I too got huge fruits, especially if a summer was very wet and then I got fruits for many varieties larger than I'd gotten before.

So where is Omar Saab now, the person who gave me the seeds? He's still teaching, as he always has.I first met him when he was an adjunct at a place where I was also teaching at the same time. He moved to Norway,married a Norwegian lady, and is still teaching from there,online courses, but goes back to Lebanon frequently to visit family members, etc.

It's been great being back in touch with him since he's been able to describe the various hill towns above Beirut where his family had a summer home and where he got the seeds he gave to me when he got back to the US. And yes, we named it together.

I think the only other variety that I would consistently get huge fruit from is one called Couilles de Tareau, also Coustralee well maybe a few more as well. And again, I did nothing at all to TRY to grow large fruits.

My main reason for growing tomatoes, aside from what we grew on our farm for commercial purposes has always been Taste first,followed by yield, and there are, as always,plenty of variables that go into both of those as well.

Carolyn
I grow Couilles every year also and it does produce some really big beautiful fruits. It is a great tomato and usually much tastier than Omar's which at times can be bland but for some reason this year they have been exceptionally tasty. I rarely get a misshapen fruit from either of these varieties.

I grow first for taste and second for taste and then consider production. I have enough room to grow a fair number of plants so I don't need great yield from most of them but I do want great taste. It seems the older I get the more important taste is over quantity. When I was a young man quantity usually took precedence when it came to eating.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote