View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013   #56
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
Vespertino, the California produce box doesn't necessarily mean shipped in produce. I'm a small producer living in a small town.

Check the price for produce boxes. And the lids are sold separately. http://www.avisbag.com/CORRUGATED.html

We only have one supermarket in town and the produce manager is happy to save any good produce boxes he has for me. One less thing he has to breakdown and pay to have hauled away and it serves the purpose of getting my produce from the farm to the market.

I line my used boxes with newspaper, so that might be a better way to check. Claud
Thank you for the link to that site, it helps a lot. Some of the boxes may have been new, but I did see California addresses stamped on many of them, and the nectarines at one stand still had the California sticker on the fruit. While I didn't ask them directly whether or not they were recycling boxes they'd found to transport the produce to market, the stickers on the fruit were very telling. Next time I think I'll just come out and ask about the boxes and see what the vendors tell me.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote