View Single Post
Old May 25, 2020   #5
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I can think of a few dwarf varieties that might work for you - in addition to the ones mentioned by Linda/Labradors2 (such as Maglia Rosa, which is a really great elongated cherry tomato on a compact plant):

* New Big Dwarf - A classic heirloom dwarf first commercially released in 1909. It is pink tomato (6-12 oz.) and is the shortest dwarf indeterminate plant I have grown - about three feet tall for me.

* Rosella Purple - One of the Dwarf Tomato Project (DTP) tomatoes. It is three-to-four feet tall and produces purple fruit averaging about 6-10 oz. each.

* Wherokwhai - Another DTP release, this plant is less than four feet tall and produces yellow/red bi-color tomatoes in the 6-12 oz. range.

* Dwarf Caitydid - A DTP variety that, like Wherokwhai, is a yellow/red bi-color with 5-10 oz. fruit on a three-to-four foot tall plant.

* Rosella Crimson - Yet another DTP release and a sibling/cousin of Rosella Purple, though this one is a pink tomato (not purple). It also falls in the three-to-four foot range and the fruit roughly 6-12 oz.

* Uluru Ochre - A DTP tomato that is three-and-a-half feet tall. The fruit are around 6-12 oz. and a unique color - orange with green undertones.

I would have suggested Dwarf Sweet Sue (a pretty yellow tomato), but the plant reaches five feet tall, so it is outside of the range that you are seeking. A lot of the orange dwarf varieties also lean a bit larger (four feet or even taller), so I didn't include them - with the notable exception of Uluru Ochre. I also didn't list any green-when-ripe dwarf plants as I haven't grown any yet... but I am growing Dwarf Peppermint Stripes this year (a GWR with stripes and some red marbling). So maybe I'll have a plant and fruit size update for you later in the summer.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote