Thread: Black Mold
View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Too right, Carolyn the common aspergillus is not a harmful mold. But I believe the toxin producing types are encouraged by bleach treatments, where it has occurred as a house mold (instead of a ho hum bread mold). That is just based on things I read probably 20 years ago and maybe a few more things when I did mycology also more than 15 y ago!

It's interesting to see what crops up on the mold mats when you leave them too long... tells me what's going on in my environment. Penicilliums are king here. So smelly.
Smelly Penicilliums? Perhaps but when I think of Penicilliums I'm thinking the band and good ones and here's a Google search I did a couple of days ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Peni...&bih=815&dpr=1

I always remembered the good one,the one that produces penicillin, as P.notatum, but I was wrong, they changed the name to a new one I'd never heard of.

During my years of teaching Microbiology, now with DNA snips available there have been many name changes.

The one I remember best was Aerobacter aerogenes which got changed to Enterobacter aerogenes.

Carolyn