Thread: 2012 Maters
View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 Maters

At the end of last season I posted that I knew I didn't want to grow a whole lot of varieties again but that's exactly what I did- again. Now I'm stating once more that I really don't want to grow this many again! I wanted to call this thread "The Last Hurrah" but that might come back to bite me.

Instead of the group photos that I took last year, I tried to get pics of individual fruits, both whole and sliced and sometimes on the plant. I wasn't planning to post them- part of an attempt to keep things as simple as possible as it's easy for me to get overwhelmed when growing too many plants. But things in the garden are slowing down now, so I'll do an entry for each variety as time permits.

Since I can't describe tomato tastes well and since everyone's taste buds are different and tomato flavors vary with location, soils, etc. there's not much point in that. For the same reason I don't like to recommend varieties for others. I like tomatoes sweet but not too mild or juicy and found this year that previous year's favorites didn't taste at all like I remembered. So this thread is just to show you what my fruits looked like, inside and out, and maybe help someone decide what to grow next year. Also want to mention that I slice hearts the same way as beefsteaks because I like to see the size of the locules.

Enjoy!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote