View Single Post
Old May 31, 2007   #11
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I'm a little confused about "dug a bunch of holes" and then "raised beds".
That's okay Feldon. . . I was a little confused too ;0). . . gardening without dinner is not a good thing!

I didn't have the printed exact instructions with me (or a proper blood sugar level, so I missed the part that said "after you have raised beds. . . make the Earl's hole. . . and I was thinking about what I read from Laurel's Organic Heirlooms that said to amend the soil as deep as you could, and then build raised amended soil. . . so I basicallly have Earl's hole UNDER an amended raised bed (which I put tons of peat in :0( )

My big concern is that peat moss has a ph of 3 or 4 (bad for maters) while the recipe called for peat hummus which is a ph of 7. . . Won't my tomatoes die/not grow right if the ph ends up being lower than 5??!!!! The soil was tested by someone else prior to planting (and me adding the peat moss) and it was ph5, so now it should be ph4. . . .

Can anyone tell me if having a low ph will kill my tomatoes? I don't see how a ph two numbers below the suggestion could be a good thing. . .
thanks again :0(
heather. . . on a mission to create the world's most expensive tomato!!!!
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote