View Single Post
Old January 31, 2008   #56
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I start my seeds indoors in seed starting mix and don't show them the outdoors until they are established in 4" pots. I guess I am lucky to have the space to do this.

I think it's pretty late to start now, but that is up to you. I will certainly have extras around the first week of March.
Thanks. I hope to check back with you in March. A few of my seedlings emerged rather quickly so I'll give some of them a shot. I'm trying something new that I hope works in my favor.

Last fall, Michael from the "dwarf project" thread sent me some seeds and I experimented with them by planting in Oasis brand Root Cubes. The cubes are a single sheet of processed wood pulp which holds an inordinate amount of water and a weak fertilizer. I'm familiar with the Oasis brand because I used to work in cut flowers and their original product line is made to sustain cut flowers after they are arranged. the floral industry is so dependent on their products. Anyway, in 5 weeks these tomato seedlings were ready for the final transplant. I've never heard of this happening so quickly! They were the healthiest looking seedlings I ever grew. I'm hoping for a repeat with this batch now that things are coming up. If not, I suppose I'll go to Wabash and Buchanan's. I hate doing that because It's like someone else choosing my varieties for me. My only consolation is that I can try some of my seeds again for fall tomatoes in the greenhouse.

Last edited by bigbubbacain; January 31, 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: additional info.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote