View Single Post
Old July 29, 2008   #11
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for your post Tom, for I always learn something new.
Carolyn,

Learning something new is the main reason I answer some posts. If it just to respond with what I already know, I may not even be motivated.

The selfing of Big Beef and to ID possible parents is close to something I have thought about for years. A few times in the past, I would talk to a tomato breeder and say something like @$%&*%@ is probably the parent of such and such a hybrid, and the breeder would inadvertently remark, "How did you know that?" I would then say that I did not know actually, but took a rather wild guess. The breeder would then say, "Don't tell anyone!"

I am doing some work with Bingo and PSX 36179. A grower in SW Washington wanted me to "save" these varieties since the hybrids were discontinued. I have these coming along nicely in the filial generations and have made test hybrids between the Bingo and 36179 OP's.

Last week when I was out to see the progress of about 150 different tomato clones in a greenhouse near Carnation. The grower wanted to know what I thought was reducing the yield of various tomatoes in his larger greenhouses. He had quite a few Green Zebras and some other varieties. But his best set of tomatoes was on.....Big Beef F-1....and he asked for my ideas on how to increase the set of Green Zebra. I told him to look at such and such #'d clones in the other greenhouse that were Green Zebra hybrids. He did and he will probably ask for those hybrids next year.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote