View Single Post
Old January 29, 2017   #19
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Pardon me for sidetracking this thread, but I just can't be not commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
...Almost all garlic is similar, the only variable is the size of the bulb and sometimes the color produced ,which is highly dependent upon the weather, and when it is harvested...
I have to strongly disagree with this, or did you mean that all the garlic, which you grow are similar?
Different varieties do also taste different. Some are more pungent and others are mild. Some varieties do not keep so well and others can be stored in same environment for long period. My Siberian marbled purple stripe garlic has huge cloves, which start to shrivel in February, while the smaller cloved Spanish Morados have stayed edible over a year. Both of these are hardnecks and vary a lot in size, color, taste, hardiness and storage lenght. The tastes do also change in storage and some varieties should be used soon after curing and others are like wine and develop the best taste during storage.
I am quite new to growing garlic, but trying new varieties has changed my view on this vegetable, which many consider just as a condiment.

I was once asked why do I fuss with so many tomato varieties, because all tomatoes taste the same. After I brought this person a bowl of fresh tomatoes from my garden, she was amazed how different the varieties were.

So saying that all garlic is similar is same as saying that all tomatoes or potatoes are similar. Naturally the basics are the same within the plant species, but varieties do have different needs for growing conditions and time for maturity and also usage of the crop varies between the cultivars. Just like tomatoes some garlic varieties are best for fresh eating and some are better for roasting or preserving.

Sari