View Single Post
Old October 24, 2009   #20
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Overall, I'm really pleased with my fall/winter garden so far.

Lettuce looks great. I have Salad Bowl, Buttercrunch and Parris Island out there.

Carrots are doing okay, not as well as last year. I have Autumn King, Paris Market and Thumbelina, also Oxheart this time.

Radishes just don't seem to grow for me anymore. The beets I started indoors have not grown at all either. I have just ordered a soil analysis kit so maybe I can find out what's going on with those veggies. Radishes used to grow so well for me. Spinach has slowed down too. They look very healthy but just not growing much despite being fed on a regular schedule.

Turnip greens and collards and kale all look great. It'll be quite a while before my first frost so I may have to start eating them before that. They're all ready to be cut even now. I have Seven Top turnips, Green Glaze collards and Black Palm Tree and Blue Curled Scotch kales this year.

Fordhook Giant chard is doing great and we have already cut this a couple of times.

The cabbages look good. Chieftain Savoy and Charleston Wakefield are starting to form heads. I also have All Seasons and Mammoth Red Rock and they are not forming heads yet but probably will soon.

I have Romanesco and Waltham broccoli. I can see tiny, tiny little broccoli buds in there.

From the summer garden, I still have Willow Leaf butter beans, White Beauty eggplant, Sheepnose Pimento, Melrose and Golden Treasure peppers going strong. The moles must have eaten all my Violetta sweet potatoes. Bummer.

All in all, I'm happy with what I've got. It was such a bad tomato year for me, I'm happy to have other things to pick.