Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old June 18, 2019   #44
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

PH, some pics show you have irrigation setup? Did you have to water at all since planting last Fall? Or do you use it for ferts? I certainly did not need to water mine at all.

biscuitridge,
Count the leaves from the top down, 5 mostly green is 5 good solid wrappers for storage. Here are two pages I have bookmarked, one a webpage and one a blog I guess, both posted on tville before:
https://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com...he-garlic.html
https://www.sustainablemarketfarming...-bulb-harvest/

I was out tonight clearing back wood chips and I pulled dirt back from a border garlic more yellowed than most. Thick stalk but only measured at 1-13/16". I guessed 2 weeks yet at least. That would put it around July 4th, same as last year. I broke off most scapes about June 6th. Four weeks from that would put it around July 4th as well. For me the harvest is is not labor dependent, more like weather dependent. I pulled it out just in time last year, when it was about ready, nice and dry, and right before the next rain.

The one I checked is on the right side of the first pic, the most yellow leaves. That row is pretty close to the wood. It is 5 ft wide and I planted rows of 9 across, staggered row to row.
EDIT: 2nd pic is trying to show depth; the top of the bulb is down about 3-1/2" below top of wood, so 2" above grade. Keeps them above excess water, but I suppose a really cold winter might hurt them near edge of box.
The last pic is counting leaves primer for biscuitridge. That one has a short broken scape, then six fully green and one yellow striped leaf with brown tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (273.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 14.JPG (233.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 16.JPG (242.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (238.4 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by JRinPA; June 18, 2019 at 11:34 PM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote