Thread: Veggie-Cages
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2007   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Alas Texas Tomato Cages are $21.40 each including shipping. 24 tomato cages would be $513.80. I seriously considered plunking down the cash but it was just too pricey for me. The convenience, sturdiness, and ease of storage of them cannot be underestimated though.

I buy rolls of galvanized fence material (the stuff with 2" x 4" holes) and then use wire ties to prop one side of the fence material open about 1'. 150 feet of 5' galvanized fence costs about $140 for 24 cages.

It didn't take me long to make these cages. One secret is to roll out the cage material and walk on it with sandals or shoes to flatten it out enough that it's not fighting with you when you're making the cages. Bully has posted pictures of this method with the two open ends of each cage secured to T-stakes. I secured the cages by tying them to each other with small wire ties. I then added a couple of screws to my raised beds and used wire ties to tie the cages to those screws.

Click for Larger Size

Click for Larger Size

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote