View Single Post
Old June 7, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have started to reply to this thread and backed off several times as I dont think my advice or thoughts are welcomed anymore.

But I want to ask is the cable going to be spliced parallel or in series?

Then before you even think about spending the time and money to do this just try it with one cable.
Before you do that look at the watts the cable draws this can be converted to BTU's.
By knowing the BTU output the soil temperature and volume and the temperature you are trying to overcome.
You will know if it will work or not before you spend one thin dime.
When you figure out how many watts you need to raise the temperature to what you want as was said you will find out real fast that it is going to cost you a ton of money in electricity.
As in the old saying there is no such thing as a free lunch and you cant make energy you can only change it from one state to the next.

I just looked at one and it is 10 watts.
The watts converted to amps is about .8 amps.
10 watts is about 34 BTU's.
With these simple calculations you aren't going to get anything for enough heat and you wont even have enough power to get where you want.
Think of it this way if you have ten of these things that did put out enough power it would be like having ten burners on a stove on at least low all of the time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote