View Single Post
Old July 23, 2018   #5
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone.

I actually crossed Orange Jazz with Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot) just to try crossing for the first time.

In posting my question, I kept thinking OJ was a hybrid, and it just dawned on me that it is OP.

If I am understanding what I've read, the fruit of the F1's should be yellow, as both parents were yellow. But, foliage will be RL, b/c OJ is RL.

I've sowed seeds from 3 tomatoes that took. I should be able to get fruit sometime in October. They will be in my high tunnel, so I can extend them as long as needed.

1st curiosity: How do they look? Solid yellow/orange or do they get some striping like mom OJ?
If some striping occurs, is it really an F1, or did I just grow out OJ plants from self pollination?
2: Assuming an F1, how do they taste?
3. How big will they get. Mom and dad are Large/Huge.
4. How much production?
5. Do I go through the F stages to segregate and stabilize? Maybe select for PL?

My casual, amateur thought when picking these parents was to get the earliness and productivity from OJ, with the better flavor of the YB. That's basically as far as I took the though process.
I love the flavor of YB Platfoot, but they have been stingey sometimes and take awhile. But of course, this year they were one of my first tomatoes to ripen (100 days from seed). The OJ has been pretty early for me and they load up. They just don't seem to hit the flavor level that I want though.
So, I was thinking I could get some hybrid vigor and maybe increased flavor in the F1.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by PureHarvest; July 23, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote