Thread: "Big Mystery"
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2014   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default "Big Mystery"

I tried this when I first joined TV but I didn't have any luck so I want to try it again.

I call this tomato "big Mystery" because I don 't know what it is. The story goes: an old man brought a big tomato as a present to a lady he was sweet on who worked with a friend of mine in a garden center about 12 years ago. He had apparently grown this variety here in the Edmonton area for many years and was his pride. my friend thinks he might have called it "Chicago" He is nowhere to be found anymore.
The lady shared the tomato with the staff at lunch, my friend saved some seeds and gave them to me to ferment. I have grown it often since, saved seed (and it always comes perfectly true), and I would love to know what it is.
There is no record of an OP tomato known as "Chicago" any place I can find.
It is a very large RL early midseason plant. about 70 days . produces lots of Large mild sweet ribbed pink globe shaped tomatoes. around 16 oz each easily. always round, never flattened and always ribbed with very delicate thin skin. few seeds, very meaty.
I have seen a million tomato pictures but nothing seems to quite match up. I thought I would seek some ideas here. I realize it won't be definitive and it is possible that this is an unknown tomato but I would like some ideas of what you all think it could be.
Otherwise it will remain my "Big Mystery"
Thanks. KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green big mystery.jpg (60.6 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg ripe big mystery.jpg (94.0 KB, 729 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote