View Single Post
Old August 19, 2011   #64
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Well, it was a first try and like I said my 2nd went smoother if only slightly. I will say the Lurley method of rapid evacuation to explode the tomatoes helped a great deal with total time, in that I no longer had to deal with all that tomato reduction on the range top. I think there's a trade-off there of less time cooking providing a fresher tasting output vs. loss of the essential tomato water that has it's own amount of flavors and presumably vitamins, etc. (note my tomatoes lost 2/3 mass in water alone in this first evacuation/dripping-off step). Anyway, you might try that Lurley method if you have a pressure cooker.

BTW, your eight quarts look perfect. I think what you're missing in all this effort is an reward. You need to make something special with that pure tomato puree there. Afterwords, you might start to view those hours of cranking on that Victorio in not so terrible or onerous a light.

Thanks for sharing--
-naysen
Naysen~

Don't have a pressure cooker, but I might try cooking the tomatoes over high heat in a pot for a short time and draining before running through the mill. I also have many gallons of frozen pieces that I'll defrost and drain, mill and reduce. Then I can compare the taste of the final products.

Last night I bookmarked a couple pages with ideas for using baking soda, salt, vinegar, denture cleaner, etc. for cleaning burnt gunk from enamelware. Once I get that taken care of I'll reduce the fresh puree from the fridge and begin round 2 of canning. Things are seeming not so bad today...I just had to get away from it for a day.

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote