Thread: Sun damage
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatpoet View Post
So, being that it was a lovely day today, I put some plants outside to get a little sun and harden off, but got caught up at the park and left them out a little too long I think. Now it appears that they have a little sun damage. Just some small spots it seems on some of the leaves, doesn't seem to be any browning on the tips from what I can tell(I can take pictures in daylight if anyone wants to see that).

Its only affected three plants(the rest were closer to the house and had more shade).
What suggestions do you all have to make sure I don't lose the plants. These of course were three of the largest of the seedlings I have.
It could be sunburn OR windburn and in both cases the leaves would show white patches, areas. The plants are not going to die.

To harden off plants it should be done only about a week before the ourside plant out time and the first couple of days they should be in the shade, the next couple of days in dappled shade and then gradually move them into full sun. it should take about a week to harden them off.

To put young seedlings directly into the sun is not a good idea b'c the leaf cuticle is very tender and so is easily damaged.

When hardening off the plants try NOT to take them inside again b'c that just reverses what you're trying to accomplish, but if frost or high winds or heavy rains are predicted it's best to put them in a sheltered area, whether a garage or whatever.

The damaged leaves on your plants should be allowed to fall off naturally so don't take them off manually which creates open wounds.

Hope that helps.