View Single Post
Old April 3, 2019   #20
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
For starts the 6000k LED's are more than enough, so I don't know why you are having issues?
I'm pretty sure I had the lights too close to begin with and my young tomato seedlings were very purple and twisty - as if they were shying away from the light! Peppers seemed to handle it better, but they did that go purple thing pretty intensly. I raised the lights and they were better.

But I also had issues with my rootstocks getting weird white bumps on leaves that then yellowed and dropped. Apparently it is a known issue with some rootstocks because they have different wild types in their genetics that are more susceptible to the lack of UV. It happened on 2 of the types of rootstocks I am growing, but the third, from a different company and definitely different genetics, was fine.

There are so many variables it is hard to know what is causing what sometimes. For instance, I've had more yellowing of lower leaves than I remember under fluorescents, but I'm not sure I was fertilizing enough, plus I'm using new trays with deep ridges to make them rigid, but that actually means it takes more water to get them wicking it up when I bottom water and then they pull it all up via capillary action so maybe they're just getting more overwatered this year? Plus the fluorescents did put out more heat and the plants are in a basement that is usually high 60s, so that could be an issue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
The lights on my seedling table are Viparspectra 450's I have my red almost all the way off. Two of these will more than cover my 24"x50" table, (4 trays)
One thing to consider it the spread of light changes when adjusted up and down.
My 300 model doesn't have separate switches, so I'll just be going with "full". I was hoping 2 300s would work in my little grow tent with a 2' X 4' base. I was looking at the 450s when I bought my current 300, which was on sale. I think the lesson is sort of like buying pants... when in doubt I should buy the next size up since I'll probably grow into it.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote