View Single Post
Old January 21, 2017   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
QUESTION:
What will you get if you graft a micro , for example, to a Big Beef ?
I am talking about plant size not fruit size or production.
When I was learning to graft I used Big Beef as a root stock for practice. I planted a whole bed of the grafted plants with around 15 different varieties as scions. The final plants showed absolutely no difference in their final appearance as mature plants nor any affect on production or fruit size. Due to the BB having better soil born disease tolerance or resistance the plants lasted on average about six weeks longer than non-grafted heirlooms in my garden. Big Beefs having only resistance to two races of fusarium was just not enough since my garden is heavily infested with all three now. Another thing I noticed but there is no way to prove if it is true was that Big Beef had the least affect on the final plant of any root stock I have tried so for those looking for just a moderate amount of soil born protection might want to try it as a root stock. It was also the easiest root stock to graft onto with the least failures at the graft site.

In general I would assume that most of the true root stock varieties would give some improvement in drought tolerance because when I pull up my grafted plants they do seem to have a more expansive root system than many of the heirlooms. This is purely anecdotal so don't take it as scientific fact; but if you have some nematode problems and mild fusarium problems it might make a great root stock for you. If you are looking for a root stock to give you some kind of big boost in size or production you should look elsewhere in my opinion. Also if you are on the Gulf Coast or other areas infected with all the fusarium types then you need a more resistant root stock.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote