View Single Post
Old February 22, 2014   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Something that you will see at a lot of markets is the hard plastic, black crate. It's 1 bu in size but also comes in 3/4 and 1/2 bu for the shorter crates. Used to be that you could get them for a buck or 2 each, any place that imported bulbs from Holland. I used to get a truckload of them from Michigan Bulb. They were cheap because they took up as much room empty as full and it cost too much to ship them back to Holland.

But since around 2000, they changed the crates to a fold-down design that are returnable. So getting the sturdier crates is hard now. I don't have a source any more at all. I just hope I don't lose too many more as they do tend to "grow legs" and disappear.

For the solid green or tan crates that some growers use, Jordan Seed near Minn, Mn carries them, but don't be shocked to find they are around $10+ each depending on size and quantity.

Some growers use the wooden crates that can be found at orchard supplies. I've used wood, but they do tend to need a lot of repair after just a season or 2.

For waxed boxes, Monte in Mi has decent, tho not the best prices. They also have just about everything else in containers you would need for farmers markets like berry tills (the pint and quart containers) and bags.

For someone just starting, your best option would be to make friends with your local grocery store. Especially if it's an independent rather than a chain. Often you can get used waxed boxes and banana boxes for free as long as you pick up promptly so they don't create a storage problem for the stores.

ONE BIG ISSUE tho with using old boxes --- if you use a box that is printed with "California Produce" (some named farm) on the box, customers and other farmers MAY accuse you of BUYING rather than growing. A few farmers markets even prohibit using the boxes for that reason. My market asks you to turn the boxes inside out.

Good luck finding what you need.
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote