View Single Post
Old November 3, 2018   #9
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Very nice looking garlic beds. I've never used any kind of cover other than hay, but I'm sure it cuts down on the weeding. I could have used that in 2017, when mosquitoes were so bad in my garlic patch that I surrendered the garlic to the weeds.

Just finished putting in my garlic & a couple perennial onions. I've done 900+ cloves in the past, but DW & I are not getting younger, so probably will never plant that much again. We planted just under 400 cloves today:

35 Bogatyr (MPS)
40 Carpati (artichoke)
30 Choparsky (MPS)
13 Dubna Standard (MPS)
13 Estonian Red (MPS)
40 Georgian Fire (porcelain)
10 German Extra Hardy (porcelain)
11 German White (porcelain)
30 Mchadidzhvari (artichoke)
10 Music (porcelain)
15 Old Homestead (rocambole)
14 Purple Cauldron (artichoke)
16 P-VT (artichoke)
19 Ron's Single Center (artichoke)
40 Sicilian Gold (artichoke)
17 Special Idaho (rocambole)
13 Vic's (rocambole)
22 White Seedless (artichoke)

And about 75 heirloom nesting onions (two varieties) which I am testing to see if they are worth growing for bulbs.

I threw the PVC frames for my pepper cages over the row, to discourage the deer from stomping on the garlic... they like to walk in freshly-tilled soil. Nothing else on the row yet, I'll throw a layer of hay over it when the ground is dry enough (or frozen enough).

BTW, I've had a couple long posts get deleted in the process of posting - frustrating. So I always copy now before submitting the post.

Weird... this time double-spacing appeared between some of the lines; edited to correct.

Last edited by Zeedman; November 3, 2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: haunted website?
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote