View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012   #31
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I tried zucchini, but they absorb water from the atmosphere so easily that although they came out of the dehydrator as "chips," they didn't stay crisp. I ended up storing them in the refrigerator and just eating them with my tomato sandwiches. I'd dehydrate zucchini again if I wanted to use them as tortilla substitutes for roll-up sandwiches or hors d'oeuvres.

I got the dehydrator last year and did only blood oranges last year. So I have 2 weeks' experience dehydrating vegetables. I think that, like most foods, they'll last longer if stored in mason jars (or jars with equally tight caps). My beans, stored in a plastic container, already seem to be less crisp.
How did the oranges turn out? How exactly did you do them? I get huge amounts of cheap citrus in the winter and I can never figure out a good way to save it. We end up juicing it and drinking waaay too much high calorie juice during the season, it's so good! The citrus comes in boxes, $4.00 for 50 pounds of very seet oranges and grapefruits. How can I resist?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote