View Single Post
Old July 28, 2019   #19
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

I start a lot of tomatoes with the intention of giving several away. There is a small circle of folks to whom I deliver plants every year (and who look forward to my offerings).

Most of the people I give tomatoes to are people who like and want tomatoes but aren't exactly your "Master Gardener" types (folks who start their own tomatoes and have their own tomato plans and schemes).

I have learned (slowly) that most of the people whom I deliver plants to are not really prepared (or have the interest or time) to stake and prune and manage the growth of a large indeterminate. They want to stick a plant in the ground and then use a cage they got from Menard's for $5 to keep it upright and productive.

I don't blame them. I have my hobbies, they have theirs. I have my time and space, they have their time and space. When I consider their needs, a healthy vigorous dwarf-determinate plant like Taz is perfect!

So, next year for my give-aways, I am going to plant a bunch of Taz's... and a bunch of Red Racers. Red Racer is a seriously good early tomato. The best I have run across so far (much better than "4th of July" or "Stupice").

For my tastiest of purposes, I am doubling down on "Jersey Boy" next year. This is the second year in the row it has been my favorite eating tomato and the second year in a row it has delivered fruit almost a week earlier than "Big Beef".

(it won't out-produce "Big Beef", but then, what does?)

Last edited by PaulTandberg; July 28, 2019 at 02:08 AM.
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote