View Single Post
Old October 7, 2021   #17
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Sunsugar was, as always, a great addition to our garden. We switched to growing 2 a few years ago just because we love them so much. It does overload us with cherries, but they are just SOOO good!

Start S F1 was our first ripe tomato and continued pumping them out throughout the season. They are small, a bit bigger than golf ball size, lots of water and seeds but great flavor. It will return.

Buffalosteak has become a staple as well. It's a hybrid but produces not only a nicely shaped, 6 - 14 oz. 'pretty' tomato, but it tastes really good as well.

I grew both Paul Robeson and Cherokee Carbon and they intertwined. When hubby picked, he didn't follow the vines to see which one he got. One was really good, one was too scarred along the top for my liking. Note to self - when growing 2 to compare - separate their growing areas!

Neves Azorean Red reinforced why we continue to grow it - good flavor, good size, good production.

Kellogg's Breakfast made a return to our garden - decent production, good flavor, beautiful tomatoes, but late... maybe that's why it was shelfed. Still in my search for that perfect yellow/orange.

Kosovo - always cranks them out, one we will always grow. Made me really miss more hearts that I was growing so next year adding in more heart varieties.

Chef's Choice Black - total dud, read all this great stuff about prolific yield which is SO important in our small space - won't repeat and not sure I would waste the square footage in trying others.

San Marzano Gigante - another total dud - I've grown many San Marzano varieties and 'get' the challenge of keeping them growing and healthy, but this variety didn't make it past our cold, wet, then hot, the cold, then wetter summer. I'm giving the space I dedicated to them to more hearts.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote