View Single Post
Old September 16, 2021   #12
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Season is not yet over here...but so far I have to say that Cherokee Purple was the favorite as far as taste goes so far on the big tomatoes. Also biggest so far with a couple going just over a pound. It did seem to just shut down production fairly early though.

SunSugar blew me away for production and taste. Definitely will be in my garden next year, and more than 1 plan.

Burpee's Early Treat surprised me. Larger than expected, with lots of tomatoes at 10-14 ounces. It's still producing, and they are good tasting tomatoes.

Disapointments: Red Brandywine and Mortgage lifter. Both plants almost completely died in July. leaves and then stems turned brown and died back. The surprising thing is that now, 2 months later, both plants have totally recovered from looking almost completely dead, are popping out new blossoms and fruit. Just remains to be seen if I actually get any more ripe ones.

Strangest things this year: My porterhouse plants grew like crazy and then just sat there. No blooms, no fruit, no nothing. Now I've finally got the first couple starting to turn and by the looks of it they will upset Cherokee Purple for biggest tomatoes of the year.

Then biggest surprise was the 3 volunteer plants that came up. They were, as I feared, a non-spectacular tomato I grew last year that I didn't care for. However, production this year was better than what I grew last year on them. Taste was blah though. They did do really good in salsa however!