View Single Post
Old September 29, 2019   #29
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe you go to that much trouble for turnips. You are certainly more dedicated than I am right now. I find it so easy to plant them that if one batch doesn't do well then I just plant some more. The seed are so cheap at the farm feed stores around here.

I'm not ready to start any greens yet. It was only 97 today but for the past week it has topped one hundred here nearly every day and still no rain. Another problem for me is the horde of whiteflies that have appeared. They will suck the life out of new greens when they are really small as I found out a few years ago when they were this bad. I have sprayed my cucumbers twice in a week just to thin out the whiteflies a little. They had gotten so thick on the underside of the leaves that even when well watered the plants were wilting way too much. The spraying really helped but I don't know for how long. Had to do the same thing with my beans. They have been fairly bad on my tomatoes and brought the dreaded TYLCV virus into the garden this year. Now about half my tomatoes are showing the symptoms and I'm sure the rest will follow shortly.

Sure could use some rain and a 20 degree drop in the temperature just so I could get out there and get some work done after 8 in the morning and not pass out from heat stroke.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote