View Single Post
Old November 15, 2016   #34
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I'll trade ya problems Bill. I'll trade ya squirrels for my snakes. I have about 26 squirrels running around here now, but I have so many Oak and Hickory trees they have plenty of food. Surprisingly they didn't touch any of my tomatoes, but the chipmunks sure did of ones hanging down. I also keep cheesecloth around the outside area of my plants.

Now what the squirrels are doing is burying nuts in my containers and disturbing the roots. Come spring I have to go all around and rip out seedlings. The thing they have frustrated me most is the have gone threw and munched off every leaf to the roots of my Comfrey plants and have taken the leaves to line there nests with. Comfrey has alot of health benefits for healing wounds, but the leaves are sort of a soft fuzzy feeling. Guess they don't want to spend the winter with their rumps being scratched raw from all the dried tree leaves.

The squirrels here are smart. You bring a gun out and they all disappear. You bring out a rake to get up the fallen leaves and they romp around the ground around you.

The only thing good about having so many squirrels is they are a natural form of look out. If there a snake or some other not so nice critter around, they climb up the trees and make enough racket to make you wish had ear plugs. They have saved my tail from getting snake bit a couple of times.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote