View Single Post
Old March 23, 2008   #2
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I grow squash, cucumbers and melons in the same bed every year. I have never noticed an 'odd' flavor. I personally doubt the claims that cross polination between the species will readily occur (thus, creating yucky frankenstein fruits.)

This is how I understand things...Varieties of the same species (i.e. some summer squash, winter squash, pumpkins and gourds are part of the Curcubita Pepo species) will cross pollinate. Also, I've heard that some of the closely related Curcubita species (say, Hubbard squash which is C. Maxima and Sweetmeat squash, which is part of the C. Moschata species) can cross too. The only time this is a problem is if you intend to save seeds and grow the individual varieties again the next year. Crossed seeds will produce different/crossed varieties next year. The flavor and appearance of the squash and such in that first year will show no difference.

Most melons are in the Cucumis Melo (melons) or Citrullus Lanatus (watermelon) species. I am under the impression that C. Melo and C. Lanatus don't easily cross with each other or with squash/pumpkin species. In my garden, I have found that to be true and have never experienced any odd results when growing these guys together.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote