Thread: Pickling Cukes
View Single Post
Old March 19, 2015   #16
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Burr Gherkins look like baby hedgehogs.

Now I have played with and kept warm and alive baby hedgehogs til they were big enough to turn back outside. I think they as cute as can be , but that cuke..... Ewwwwwwww.... Wonder if they taste any good. They sure don't look very appetizing with all them pickery things on them. Looks almost as bad as that one cucke years ago that I tried. I got it cuz it was pretty and it held it self like for almost 6 months but the inside was nothing but pure gelatinous seeds. I spent days close to home and the tp paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
Starlight, I grow a couple of hybrid picklers that are really productive for me, Sassy and Eureka. Sassy grows really nice darker green, and nice length to girth ratio. Eureka was bred for trellis production and climbs a fence well with a little help, not quite as dark or long. Sorry I don't know why the slicers grow for you but not the picklers they should have basically the same needs.

Good luck
Marcus
Thanks for the suggestions Marcus. I'll have to get some of those types too to try. Especially with our heat and humidity you never know what is or isn't going to live down here.

I don't know either. I give them same amount of water and ferts as I do the slicers. Same amount of sun too. With them being smaller cukes, do they need some shade maybe?

I knew the deer had been near the plants as I sw all their tracks. I think they was trying to get to the beans and tomatoes, but were afraid to cross the pallets and fish wire I had round them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I'm going to pick up a pack of National Pickling seeds later today. You all helped make up our minds
If you don't find any seeds, like I say just holler at me and I'll send ya some.

Oh and before I forget. The one lady says she needs enough pickling cukes to fill a pickling crock. Have no idea what one of them looks like. Anybody know about how many cukes that is I need to try and grow?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote