View Single Post
Old November 13, 2017   #35
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
"Nobody has actually told me how they can tell overwatering via a photograph'

When I look at my potted plants and see the top of the soil is lighter in colour (greyish) that gives me the heads up to check that plant for dryness. It might still be wet underneath so I weigh it and check beneath soil level with my finger to be sure before I add more water.

The soil in the photos looks dark. Maybe that's why some think they look wet ?

I don't know Ron. We ask, we get answers. Hard to tell from photos isn't it?
Hi..It is difficult and the soil I am using is very dark compared to other soil mix's I have used that do lose colour and go grayish ....I will just have to buy a moisture meter ??
I washed 20 drums in a big drum of bleached water last night so they are drying (they do have water compartments so they have to be turned to ensure all the bleach water has gone ) and later today I will be transplanting and then I can take photos of the plants out of the pot between transplant which may give some answers ...Look I never want to antagonise people and if they were wet I would tell the truth...

I recall seeking local help in my first season of Tomato growing and that was not that long ago....The opinion I got was "not enough water" a second opinion "too much water" so I soon learn't about opinions...I have read so much about seedlings and the only realistic option down here where I live is what i am trying to do ...build an artificial growing chamber with temperature and light control where seedlings can grow under controled conditions as stipulated in the "cold Treatment" article written years ago...

I still wonder If the growing company has some secret fertilizer mix that they use to get their plants looking as they do when they are put out for sale in the gardening centres ....There are two growing suppliers down in this area and the second companies plants are spindly so apparantly they do not have the secret..

I just have to try it ..if it fails ?well at Least I tryed.. I have problems all the time..EG I have 40 pots that had germinated seeds from the paper towel method carefully laid in the the moss mix and yet nothing has grown and one person from the local gardening centre says "just put the tomato ON the ground and stand on it..Thats what I do...and you will get plenty of seedlings" (Russian Red) ....Thats the guy that thinks I am a nuisance so I just do not know...Its amazing....
Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote