View Single Post
Old February 21, 2012   #45
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post

BETIMES MACBETH is but one of these examples.

In my cold climate I need tomatoes to yield early...concentrated as possible and cover the ground with the bloody things....
It is a remarkable plant that takes the heat...takes the dryness that happens so often, and yet produces tomatoes despite cold nights...

Earliness coupled with cold nights is an ongoing restraint that bedevils breeding and selection work...

Earliness and small size fruits works in tandem for me....prostrate/compact vines with concentrated set is another factor to use for success. ..

Tom Wagner

There are a lot of clues here, for breeding for earliness. I agree with TheLoud, I would be thrilled to hear more from you about the genetics behind these factors, including cold tolerance, fruit set in cold or other adverse conditions, determinate growth habits vis a vis earliness, etcetera.

I also want to express my appreciation for the work you are sharing, not only insightful comment but also the living seed you have bred for that purpose. I will for sure be trying Betimes MacBeth next year. Any further insights that would help us to choose a range of breeding material would be much appreciated, too.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote