View Single Post
Old April 8, 2018   #531
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Bill:

Thanks for the continued advice and guidance.

I thought I would have a few years before disease would "build up" in my soil. It was so disheartening to see huge, rugged plants with plenty of fruit set wilt overnight! I still have plenty of potential problems but grafting has reduced the heartbreaking two-day-kill-off.

It's very relaxing to graft since it still takes my total attention but even if they all fail I still have Big Beef. It amazed me how long the 24 took to graft yesterday.

Happy growing year to you!

Jeff
Jeff if you had kill offs that fast then you were probably dealing with Bacterial Wilt which can be devastating since I have never seen it kill anything but big healthy heavily loaded tomato plants. I'm sure it has but I haven't seen it yet. Every plant that I have lost to that disease has been large and loaded down with fruit.

As far as I know the RST roots stock is the only one commonly available that is resistant to Bacterial Wilt. I have not had a single plant with the 106 root stock get bacterial wilt and it has been my main root stock for over three years now. I have had every other root stock graft get Bacterial Wilt. I don't know how strong the 106 resistance is but so far it has been terrific at stopping Bacterial Wilt, RKN, and all three races of fusarium wilt and for me more scion varieties have done well with it than any other root stock I have tried. Right now NE Seeds is out of the 106 root stock seed and I hope they will be getting some more soon.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote