View Single Post
Old July 27, 2008   #15
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I guess Burpee is the only company that I refuse to business with in the future. About 9-10 years ago when I first started growing heirloom varieties almost exclusively, I ordered some Cherokee Purple plants from Burpee. My friend Reverend Dr. Preacher Fred and I were going to split the order. When my plants arrived, they were a week late and completely DOA. Even if they weren't, they would have been unusable. The plants were 6-7 inches tall (when they were alive, of course) and were growing in tiny cells. The kicker was that they were growing three or four plants to a cell and were completely rootbound. It would not have been possible to separate them and have undamaged plants. To their credit, they didn't hassle me about a refund and my money was refunded the same day. I have grown Burpee's Tabletalk from a seed trade since then and was pleased with it. I won't, however, be giving them my hardearned dollars anymore.

I have had good experiences with many seed companies, despite inconsistency in naming and some tomato illiteracy on their part; such as claiming that a tomato is low-acid or is a hybrid heirloom.

Here are the companies that I have had a positive experience with:

Tomato Growers' Supply
Marianna's Heirloom Seeds
Weeks' Seeds
Botanical Interests
Victory Seeds
Johnny's Select Seeds
heirloomtomatoes.com aka The Tomato Patch
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote