View Single Post
Old July 17, 2017   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing indoor winter again. Last year was my first trial.
I over did it a bit but hilariously fun...it was a jungle down there.

I think the experience will be different for each individual trying it.

This year I might start earlier like the end of August instead of early October.
(don't have last years notes with me...out of the country now)

Most important is to start plenty of seed. Like half a 1020 of more than one variety.
That would be Minimum 36 seed of each and cull. Looking for the strong but small and
dense. 2-3 seeds per cell you could fit 4-6 different varieties. And all be contained
in one tray.

I cull/slay heavily. Will pot up max 36 in 4inch pots, cull again, no doubt a dozen will
shoot up around the 6-8 week mark. A nice blossom cluster at 12-15 inches is a keeper.
Loose plan but last Winter about 6 went into small gallon pots. The rest stayed in the
4 inch.

An earlier start date will take advantage of a warm Sept. sun. Then once the leaves fall,
the South window holds a dozen and I rotate under lights during grey skies.

I also grew dwarf sunflowers I need to start earlier so they bloom for Thanksgiving.
4 varieties that bloom at different times keeps me in flower for a couple months.

Even if you just want 3-6 plants, do start many seeds and cull. Seeds are basically
free. I purchased a few varieties from SampleSeedShop and will save the best from
the summer crop. I only save for flavor and good cluster set.
Same with the dFollettes. If the flavor is there on the F5's I'll save plenty and offer up
with Dan's permission when the time comes.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote