View Single Post
Old November 17, 2011   #6
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Rare Hickory Cane Corn Available

Lurley, I hope it does well for you! Everyone I have talked with who grew up growing/eating this variety have the best of memories! I have been searching for the Hickory Cane Corn for more than three years. You should see faces light up while talking about the good foods this corn made. An example: We were invited to our friend's son's Eagle Scout Awards. There was another young man also getting the award. His father grew up in the mountains of Georgia and I asked if they had grown the Hickory Cane Corn. He excitedly said yes they did and was surprised that I had asked that! Families grew it, saved the seed for the next year, and shared it with family and friends. The "tradition" in the old days was the sharing of seed with newly wed couples. Two good examples are Kentucky Heirloom Viva: It is sometimes listed as Viva or as Viva Lindsey's Kentucky Wedding and Nebraska Wedding Tomato

Kentucky Heirloom Viva: It is sometimes listed as Viva or as Viva Lindsey's Kentucky Wedding. Listed in the 1991 SSE by Harold Martin of Hopkinsville, KY says he's the original source and describes it as an excellent late Fall tomatoIt was a wedding present from the Martin family in 1904; this was a tradition often used with newly weds at that time. It produces fruit that is a pale yellow/ivory to white type fruit with pink blush on the bottom portion, flavor is mild/light sweet, and fruit can grow to more than a pound. It is Ponderosa shaped, to 4 inches, does not keep well. Grown by Viva Lindsey's family for 100 years. Indeterminate, regular leaf, a little known tomato variety and difficult to find.

Nebraska Wedding Tomato
Mrs. Beiswenger of Crookston, MN, is credited for introducing this tomato to the Seed Savers Network. She received the tomato seeds from Mrs. Englert of Sandpoint, ID in 1980. Mrs. Englert was 72 at the time and said "Nebraskan brides were given seeds of this tomato as a wedding gift. It was said to have been brought from MN by pioneers in the late 1800s via covered wagons. And it thrived in cold, windy Nebraska."
Nebraska Wedding has apricot-orange skin and flesh. 3-4" globes are juicy with a well balanced acid-sweet flavor and can weight up to a pound. Determinate vines, 90 Days.