View Single Post
Old June 7, 2008   #27
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Well Folks....its closing in on that time of year again....Oktoberfest!

2008 is the 40th Anniversary of the Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest. There are lots of extra special events going on. Our Festhalle is even hosting something new....when we'd normally be "dark". The Oktoberfest Muay Tai (sp?) will be run in our Festhalle on the afternoon of the 12th of October. There will be teams from all over North America and the German National Team is expected to join us. This will be an official qualifying tournament for the "Worlds", so the calibre of entrants will be very high.

This year, Oktoberfest starts officially with the Keg-tapping ceremony at Kitchener City Hall on Friday October 11th and goes until Sunday October 20th when the closing ceremony takes place. Our Festhalle is open on the following days during the 9 day Bavarian Festival:
Fri Oct 11th evening with DAVE FM / regular Oktoberfest with The Saxons and House DJ, JP Renaud

Sat Oct 12th afternoon Oktoberfest Mauy Tai Tournament
Sat Oct 12th evening regular Oktoberfest with The Saxons and House DJ, JP Renaud

Mon Oct 14th after the Oktoberfest Parade to 430pm All Ages / Bands on Parade (all the marching bands perform along with the multi award winning house band The Saxons and House DJ, JP Renaud

Wed Oct 16th BEATtoberfest The BEAT/ artists to be announced, with The Saxons and House DJ, JP Renaud

Fri Oct 17th University Night regular Oktoberfest with The Saxons and House DJ, JP Renaud

Sat Oct 18th Closing Night regular Oktoberfest with The Saxons and House DJ, JP Renaud

If anybody is interested, I can arrange hotel packages info, etc. The first weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving / Columbus Day Weekend, depending upon whether you're in the the States or Canada. Our Oktoberfest starts the weekend after the Munich one ends. There are a number of events that go on during the day, that are family style oriented. There was an idea put forward that our Kiwanis Youth (Circle K or KEY Club) could run a babysitting service for those interested in attending with young children and coming for the weekend.

For those that are not aware, the drinking age is 19 not 21 in the Province of Ontario.

A possible seed swap could be done on the Sunday October 13th for Tomatovillians interested in coming.

If you want to come to the Festhalle that I am part of, please pm me and I can arrange a discount on tickets for my fellow Tomatovilians. However, if you're interested in the final Saturday night, which sells out by around Labour Day normally, or the final Friday night, I'll need to know so that I hold back tickets because it sells outtoo.

Last edited by Zana; June 7, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote