View Single Post
Old December 17, 2009   #1
Aussiemark
Tomatovillian™

Default F2 Tomato Question

Can someone please help me understand something about tomato breeding and genetics.

To my understanding once you successfully crossed 2 tomatoes, and get F1 seeds (say from a single fruit), all the F1 plants and fruits should be the same. The dominate genes from each plant coming through on the F1 cross.

My question is about the fruit from the F1 plant, producing F2 seeds. I know F2 is where it starts to get interesting and we can pick up the recessive traits again.

Can someone tell me if the variations come per seed, per fruit, or per F1 plant?

ie. if you take "one" fruit from "one" F1 plant and get say 100 seeds, will those seeds theoretically have all the genetic combinations for all the different possible breed out targets? or do you need multiple fruits from the same plant? or multiple fruits from multiple plants?

I do understand the more seed you have and the more you grow the more possible combinations you have, but is 1000 seeds from 1 tomato on 1 plant the same as say 1000 seeds from 100 tomatoes from 10 plants?

Hope this question make sense?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by Aussiemark; December 17, 2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Aussiemark is offline   Reply With Quote