View Single Post
Old January 24, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Over half the tomato and pepper plants I have started in cells and small cups are up with two leaves. Eventually, I want to transplant them into larger Hefty cups, plastic Folgers coffee cans, and in flower pots. (That's what I have)

First question: Do I need to wait until the seedlings have more leaves on them before transplanting into larger containers?

This part is about the soil to use in the larger containers. My idea is not about saving money - even though it would. I was thinking that mixing pro mix with the garden soil they will eventually be growing in - might be advantageous? That would give the plants all of February and most of March time to get used to our garden soil and still get the benefits from the pro mix.

Other question: Do you think the above paragraph is a good idea? If not, feel free to shoot holes in it I want to do whatever is best for our plants.

Oh, I also did plant a few in 18oz. cups as I wrote about in another thread here in the Starting From Seed place/forum/area. I figure that way, I can see any possible differences in planting from seed in different approaches.

Answer to first question.
Yes they need to get much bigger.
I wont say how tall because of the possibility of elongated growth.
So I will say at the very least 4 to 5 true sets of leaves.
You will know when it is time to transplant because you wont be able to keep up with the watering.
It is very important at this time to not over water let the top of the soil dry out between watering or you will end up having damping off problems.
Damping off can plague you up until the plants main stem is almost the size of a pencil but not quite.
Use the solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide to ten parts water and spray the soil.
\This will help stop damping off.
You dont have to be exact just eyeball it.
Answer to second question.
Use the potting mix as suggested.
The new roots that grow into your soil never knew what the potting mix was to begin with, they are new roots.
I use the MG organic potting mix and just pick out the bigger sticks.

When you put the plants in the bigger containers you will more than likely start to see some leaves with white splotches on them just cut of the leaves.

Then when you plant them out cut off the lower leaves.
Then in about 3 weeks after the plants are bigger about 2 feet tall cut the lower branches off again.
At any time a leaf starts to hit the ground cut it back.
Your plants should look like little palm trees in your garden for quite sometime.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote