Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2019   #2796
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Big rain yesterday, here. Started maybe 3pm and was pretty much done by 6pm.

Bucket dimensions

10.0(topID)

9.3(HeightInterior)

8.3(bottomID)
filled 7.5" high inside 3 hours.

Someone has a kid in geometry or trig that should be able to do that for right quick. I'll just estimate an honest 6".

We were picking up a vehicle from the mechanic and stayed to chat way too long...ended up getting cut off by water too deep for the subaru going the back way home and having to backtrack to the main road...where I found them blocking traffic southbound (back to town) and redirecting that traffic...up into the hills either direction where we just came from. Traffic was still coming northbound, so there was no reason to detour anyone. It was surreal. Instead of just making everyone stop, the idiots are putting tractor trailers and everyone else up "emergency" alternate routes...where they are getting stuck in every bottomland creek area.

Got some water in the basement, otherwise we are fine, but watching on the news, we are the only ones that really got hit by it. If the rain comes from WNW at lot of times we get practically nothing because it breaks up coming over the ridge. When it comes from the SW or SSW like it has most of this last year, we can get a lot rain that just condenses the last few miles as it approaches.

We had NO idea it was going to be flash floods until it started....and then didn't stop. But I can say for sure there are some serious issues with either the plans or follow through for the traffic control. There is no way those idiots should have been diverting traffic on the highway. Should have been stopping it and making everyone wait for it to stop raining.

One guy coming Northbound had the temerity to turn around and drive back into town before he got to the roadblock...he clearly realized if he kept going they wouldn't let him drive back home for hours...they sent someone in a big SUV racing after him like he just robbed a bank. I was parked up the hill in a church parking lot waiting it out when I saw that happen. Could not believe what I saw.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote