View Single Post
Old February 3, 2006   #1
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Default Misguided entrepreneurs

I sort of hovered over whether this was discussion or conversation but seeing it's about tomatoes here it is.

I have noticed over the years comments on Tomato Forums about selling tomatoes to restaurants.
Usually someone enquires about the viability of this and is usually encouraged by the multitude.
" People will flock to restaurants that have fresh tomatoes on their menu." "Chefs love heirloom tomatoes".
Yeah well maybe.
I know Chez Panisse does wonderful things with Green Zebra according to books and I know other top restaurants use tomatoes however....

Fresh tomatoes are mainly used for garnish or very sparingly in salads. 95% of the tomatoes I spy in restaurant kitchens are in #10 cans filled with Thai tomatoes. These have NZ or Aussie labels on them but when you look at them closely they have Product of Thailand in small print.
These are used in all cooking.
Why? Product on hand when they want it. Product already peeled and processed. Price is stable. And cheap, cheap, cheap! Product is stable. This counts in winter. And above all...Profit, profit profit. The three words that keep a restaurant going.
I supply restaurants with items they can't get out of a can thank god but I cringe when I read the hopes of amateur heirloom growers hoping to sell megabucks of tomatoes to them.
I grow them and sell them but really it's a hobby connected to my business.
I think selling surplus produce is great but I think there are better and more profitable avenues than restaurants.
Admittedly this is from a New Zealand perspective however I think it is the same everywhere.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote