View Single Post
Old June 26, 2015   #25
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for the brief response. I got a support call and I had to cut that short without adequate supporting documentation.

I don't know if powdered worm castings would work or not. They would probably have the humic acid which is beneficial (especially combined with kelp extract). I don't know about the bacterial side of vermicompost in dried castings.

I know fresh ones from my worm farm worked in a way that was undeniable. I mean I had TONS of bugs eating all my stuff. I sprayed and the next day I had no bugs.

Here's a better document about pest control with vermicompost tea. Search the document for the word "insect". It's a long article. I didn't read the whole thing but they give more specifics about insect control than I was aware of. I have read a few places that the bacteria in worm tea can infect a lot of pest insects and kill them.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3725894/

If you don't have a worm farm I would strongly encourage you to get one. vermicompost tea from fresh castings is AMAZING. It does things that help with pretty much every aspect of gardening. My first year gardening I was getting better results than neighbors who had been gardening for 10+ years. I didn't even know what I was doing but I was doing the worm teas

I didn't truly realize how much of my success was tied to the worm teas until my worms died. Pretty much all of my success was tied to the worm teas (LOL). I'm a pretty mediocre gardener without worm tea.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote