View Single Post
Old September 20, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default A September To Remember

A cool September! Now, that's a rarity that we're thoroughly enjoying. Usually it's hot enough that I'm worried about planting out broccoli, etc and fretting about getting bush beans to germinate. But this year I rolled the dice on planting the beans in August, two weeks earlier than usual and hit a good temperature window. They popped up just fine. In fact, I had to put the netting tunnel leg extensions on the bean row a few days ago so the plants wouldn't be pushing against the netting.

The remnants of Sally came through without any damaging wind but dumped 7.5" on us in a 24 hour period. The three okras and two squash are in an area where there used to be a single wide mobile home at some point in the past. The area was dug out 6" deep by whoever owned it. Sally filled it up so the plants were doing the backstroke. I've never seen it full before.

The lower part of the garden (non-raised bed area) had 2" of water so the field peas were swimming too. But by the next morning every bit of water including the 6" had all been sucked up! I was amazed. Not only that, but you could walk on it without sinking! We keep dumping leaves and old pots of soil in that 6" deep area so eventually it will fill up. Maybe.

Yesterday a few more cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower plants got planted out. That was Round 2 of four. Round 3 plants are under the lights and Round 4 plants were seeded yesterday. All rounds are about two weeks apart.

I need to rip out the Colossus peas. They're a mess and vining more without setting flowers or peas so out they come. The September Peas I'm trying are a lot smaller, more well behaved plants and starting to flower. The Red Ripper peas are setting pods.

The flowers are a mess and in sad decline, especially the zinnias. Downright ugly foliage. They are pretty much done but the butterflies are still visiting so the plants will stay in a bit longer. The plants are for them anyway.

I have been tired of having sneakers or hiking boots getting so wet in the garden and had been on the lookout for decent overshoes. So hard to find! But I found some on Amazon from the Tingley Rubber Company, an outfit who has been 50 years in business. They were $25 but I consider these a garden tool and worth it. They're heavy duty, wide enough in the front to accommodate steel toe shoes if I had them. I can just leave my garden sneakers in them so there's no putting on or taking off the overshoes all the time. The extra width makes them look like Mickey Mouse feet but they work! That's all I need and want. Dry feet after morning chores in dewy grass or rain puddles. :thumb:

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote