View Single Post
Old February 2, 2014   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Mark, I am eschewing sending you a private PM and wish to take you up on your offer publicly. Your choice of two of your hybrids and I will send you a couple of my rarest hybrids I made last year between interesting new inbreds as well. I made 672 crosses last year..not all made but well over 400 did.

We are in similar enterprises...so why not cooperate? You don't have to list the parents of the hybrids, I just feel the spirit of exchange should suffice.

I have selected an intern to dog my work with making hybrids and my plan is to combine our efforts in making crosses in various greenhouses, field and garden plantings to make an ambitious effort. I figure this can be done over a five month period and could perhaps be done several thousand of times. My lowest goal is for 5,000 but it could easily exceed that if I get a few volunteer interns. My crosses will begin later this month in the Cascades and San Diego County, but will be concentrated in Snohomish County where my intern and I live.

To speed the database of hybrids already done and to record each hybrid a series of barcodes/etc. will be implemented to hasten the data input and retrieval. For instance....can you read this?

The barcodes will be loaded to a label with each plant but may be linked to some other identity to protect the intellectual property. Since my intern is helping me sort my tens of thousands of seed units...the existing identity of cross or OP number with a sow date will continue to follow 60 years of established detail so that my database and seed inventory can be "Googled" internally. That means that 11221313 will show up as Pacific Bluestem tomato and that number will always be coded to that date and number. The barcode will allow me to use my Iphone and other devices and follow a variety of templates for data, including pictures, descriptions, etc.

Mark, I have gotten off the topic more than just a bit, but I think you get my drift on where new experimental hybrids could lead the way to more varietal development.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote