View Single Post
Old September 10, 2007   #6
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Just rereading the original post. Unless you start lots and lots of tomato seeds, maybe you can start your plants in the house or garage? I start mine in the house and move the plants out to a mini greenhouse. You can buy them at some big box stores or some big box home improvement places. I have talked with people who say theirs rip apart after a season, but I had one that I loved and the plastic was pretty tough. It lasted for five years or so. Our spring is quite variable temp wise. We can and do have temps like the place you may be moving to. On the other hand, we can also have several days around 65-70 F. in March. Freezing days absolutely happen here. Not sure how many freezing days in fall/winter, but not a lot I think. Weather in the 30s F. is common for lows and sometimes for the high. Even the mini greenhouses can do quite well in protecting my lovelies. And the more protected a place you put the greenhouse, the better. Price range I have paid for a mini greenhouse - $39.99 - $79.99. Price depends also on how big the greenhouse, quality of plastic, etc.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote