View Single Post
Old September 10, 2007   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

My temps are similar to Keith's, but a bit warmer usually, as I am further south, in Oregon. Nights are just starting to get into the 40s at night. They can and often are that way in the spring as well. You might want to try Walls Of Water or hoop houses in the spring, which is when they are most used here, and again in the fall. I have read plenty of threads saying Walls Of Water, (WOWs), are useless, but here in my part of the world, they are very useful. If spring/summer are cooler than one would like for tomato, pepper or eggplant growing, WOWs or hoop houses can make the difference between getting ripe ones and not getting any at all. Hoop houses will also protect from the rain and the rare snow we get here, although the chances of getting snow in spring or fall are pretty slim.

Living in the Pacific Northwest on the west side of the mountains, we also look for the warmest places we can to grow out tomatoes, next to driveways, near south facing walls, near brick or cement walls in whatever location, near swimming pools or any other warm body of water, near anyplace that will reflect heat back into the plant.

Getting back to the WOWs and hoop houses, if you are frugal, on principal or out of need, you can take clear pop bottles and fill them full of water to put around your plants. This will help keep the plants a bit warmer at night. If you have tomato cages around your plants, you can wrap the cages with plastic from whatever source. Best to use heavy mil plastic though. It will help keep the plants warmer at night and won't be as susceptible to tearing. I'm sure you can think of other things. Perhaps this will get you to thinking of what resources you have in your area if you do move. All the best.

Last edited by maryinoregon; September 10, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote