Thread: Maypop Jelly
View Single Post
Old January 3, 2019   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Maypop Jelly

Maypop Jelly

The jelly was great, sort of reminds me of apricot/marmalade type flavor, sort of a citric taste. Mine came out a tad thin like honey but I decided to leave it be. I love it in my tea and on toast with butter or cream cheese. I guess it would be pretty good on a hot roll with butter like you would use honey.

MayPops Jelly
  • 4 cups ripe maypops, sliced (I just used whatever I had, way more than 4 cups)
  • 1.875 cups water (2 cups light)
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 1 package pectin that is 1.75 oz

Combine the Maypops and water in a 3 quart saucepan and boil gently for 5 minutes. Strain through a colander pressing to extract as much juice as you can. Toss the skins and seeds (throw away.)

Combine the liquid and sugar and bring to a full rolling boil. Add the pectin and again bring to a full boil.
Check temperature 220°F with a candy Thermometer.

Remove from heat, pour into hot sterilized jars 1/4" headspace, top with hot lids and seal.

Makes 5 pints.
Folks that made tis recipe stated that this came out a tad loose at 1/2 package but a full package it was too thick.

Mine came out too thin, like honey,but I went heavy on the water 2.125 cups, I will try it next time a little shy of two cups.

• Collected Maypops and tossed in the freezer as they became ripe.

• Removed from freezer and rinsed.

• Snipped ends off with scissors and cut in pieces.

• Simmered for 6 minutes or so, strained through a colander then a fine strainer

• Strained juices in a pot and added sugar

• Brought to a rolling boil.

• Added pectin, brought to a rolling boil.

• Canned

• Next day test

• Adding to my Chia Latte

• Breakfast is served
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote