View Single Post
Old August 5, 2010   #10
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the information about the bleach method, I do appreciate it.

Re. the Mancozeb - I am not so silly as to just buy "something" without research. I even had a family member who knows some toxicology take a look at it.

I did see that site, but don't give it a ton of credence honestly. Mancozeb is available to consumers, so I doubt it's tremendously poisonous, despite the claims of an environmental group. I don't intend to bathe in it or anything, so doubt I will shortly come down with cancer. Just because there is one article doesn't concern me - a bunch of scientific studies perhaps would.

That same group is against genetically modified crops, Roundup, and all sorts of stuff. Their evidence does not seem to list any actualy scientific studies - rather makingn a vague reference and saying things like "one person got a rash". One person could even be allergic to tomato plants, the pollen that day, or any other thing. It is not scientific evidence.

Many, many substances can be carcinogenic, or cause symptoms/problems at high doses. High doses, however, might be bathing in or drinking the stuff. High dose does not usually mean a slight amount of spray drifting. If it did, it would likely be unavailable or a professional product only.

Just for comparison - I can't find the Daconil label online easily, but here's the info on Wiki (Daconil is Chlorothalinol):

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, chlorothalonil is a Category I "severe" eye irritant. It is not considered to be acutely toxic by ingestion (its oral LD50 is greater than 10,000 mg/kg), but is toxic when inhaled. In animal tests, long term chlorothalonil exposure resulted in kidney damage. Chlorothalonil is a class B2 "probable carcinogen", based on observations of cancers and tumors of the kidneys and forestomach in laboratory animals fed diets containing chlorothalonil.[2]
Chlorothalonil is highly toxic to fish and aquatic Invertebrates, but not toxic to birds.[3]
Chlorothalonil has been implicated in Colony Collapse Disorder.[4]

While I do appreciate safety concerns (and I am very careful what I use in my yard, especially anything my dogs might come in contact with, for example I won't get Chemlawn etc.) I also have the personal view that many of the chemicals that have been developed are safe and useful, if used properly.

I do thank you though, because I am now reminded to be extra careful while applying sprays - since my tomatoes are pretty tall, I need to be careful to not get stuff all over me, and perhaps shower immediately.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote