View Single Post
Old May 2, 2008   #12
CLa
Tomatovillian™

rzr, the mushy thing sounds to me like what happens to the first few tomatoes that went through partial cold conditions. In other words that tomato may have had a battle with that last cold snap that swept through. But, I have also noticed that always, my first few cherry tomatoes taste mushy, and the better tomatoes are usually after the first one or two. Possibly the plant was not ready to support it like it should have been supported in some way. I have even heard my microbiology teacher say she pulls any tomatoes that start on that first trust when the plants stems are very thin, claiming that those early bloom tomatoes wont be supported by the plant enough until the plant gets larger. Not sure if that comes with her experience or what, but I think there is at least some truth to the fact that some of the first maters are often mushy. They are for me anyway. But it is just that first or second one for me, like the first two sungolds were mushy, the 3rd one was on though, tasted perfect.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your next one is much better, or some of the later ones. I hope that is the case anyway.

Oh yeah also, as Feldon mentioned, It looks like it is not completely ripe, almost there though. However, an under-ripe tomato should be crispy I would think, in which case that crispness turns to juicy, not mushy. I think picking it early is not your problem. But I would pick them when there is a little more color than just a first blush, unless you start having a bird problem etc..
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote