View Single Post
Old July 22, 2009   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

IT'S POURING !!!!!!! YAAAH !!!!!

It has been a struggle getting things to grow here this year. We have had only 0.44" of rain for the month of July so far. And June was dry after the 10th too. Only 0.9" for the last 2/3rds of June. The only sort of save is the fact that it's been cooler than it should be too. But that also means stuff wasn't growing well either. Except the weeds of course.

We've been running sprinklers where we can reach with water. Where it's too far we've been hauling a 750 gallon tank and dumping it on the rows. Not very efficient but it's been keeping things alive so far.

I ordered some layflat and T-Tape drip line on Monday in part so maybe we would finally get some rain. In the past when I spent somewhere over $500 on irrigation supplies, by the time we get them we don't need them.

Due to watering, we've gotten way behind on the cultivating. The few times I was able to do some, I could barely get the cultivator in the ground. It's so hard, like concrete out there.

Well, hopefully now I will be able to do the cultivating. If we get some of that heat that's out west, things should still be reasonably OK in time for the Tomato Day.

I'm hoping some of you in the mid-west may be able to get here. While my first post may have sounded a bit "commercial", mainly I want this to be a tasting event. Since I don't eat much of the varieties, I would like to hear how others think some of the varieties taste. I have so many new-to-me varieties this year. This should also be a chance to see how some varieties perform under "farm" conditions rather than being babied as 1-of in a home garden.

I will try to keep things up dated as the summer progresses.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote